Sunday 8 November 2009

My First Blog

Hello to anyone who might be out there.

This is my first blog. Crosses fingers that anyone might actually be out there and might read this.

I've been a writer for just as long as I can remember but have had more rejections that I actually care to contemplate. Just when I was thinking about giving it all up for good I had my first short story published courtesy of a Writers' Forum competition. The short story was not a "winner" but a just about about got there and was published in The Weekly News. To see my name published (and not just for a reader's letter) and to actually receive payment for it was just about the most exhilarating thing I have ever experienced and it gave me the boost to carry one.

I've been tramping about other people's blogs for a while now but never had the bottle to do it for myself. My technological expertise isn't up to much either, so please forgive me. Perhaps I'll learn as I go along.

I have written the first draft of a contempory woman's novel but have got lost somewhere in the first edit. Despairing of gettin anywhere with it though, I've decided to put it to one side for a month and have joined NaNoWriMo for the duration of November. After week one I've written 15,000 words which is something of a phenonmenum for me so I'm hoping that I can carry on for the rest of the month and reach the 15,000 target. Again fingers crossed.

Anyway, don't want to bore anyone who might be reading this but would welcome any comments from all you writers out there.

Yours

Sowannabe A Writer

4 comments:

  1. Hello! Congratulations with getting a short story published! And I hope you find blogging inspirational as well. I am always in awe of people whose blogs are all-singing and dancing – it has taken me over two years to get mine to where it is now, and I still have a lot to learn. But it is fun, and is yet another way to see your words published, all of which I think helps! I hope the intensive NaNoWriMo sparks fab ideas, and that it gives you a bit of creative space to get fired up again with your first edit. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jane

    Thanks for your reply. I am very much a novice at blogging but I am hoping I'll learn along the way. The NaNoWriMo is going well but taking up alot of my time. It's amazing how much you can write when you have a deadline!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey!! just read your first blog, and when there's a wioll there's a way!!!! you're soo going to be a writer! just hang in there!
    I found like a year ago, Stephenie Meyer's official website, which inspired me to blog this year, that was how I discovered how words playing together can achieve great things, bring ideas into life. Maybe you can find some tips over there since she posted some of her experience at becoming a writer!!!

    http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/
    hope it helps!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! Hope it's just the beginning... It feels good to realize our dreams. :)

    ReplyDelete

Things They Never Said - First Week in the Big Bad World

  Well, my debut novel Things They Never Said has been out in the real world for nearly a week now and I'm pleased to say that it seems ...