Wednesday 15 June 2011

Apologies For Absence

Two reasons for being a bad blogger:

1. Half term holiday in Majorca
2. I've being trying (trying being the operative word) to edit my novel so that I can send it in to the RNA before the deadline for the New Writers Scheme expires - OK so August sounds a long way away but I would like to get it in before then.

After our wonderful family holiday in February we decided to spend a week in the sun at half term.  In the past we have visited Majorca at this time of year and had fantastic holidays, so we decided to go back.  Alas, perhaps this year was a mistake.

Rain at the airport was the first sign that this was not going to be a sun filled event. 

The next five days of intermittent rain and constant overcast skies tested the patience of all involved somewhat, along with the noise, too many people in one venue, greed and rudeness of fellow holiday makers. I'm not exaggerating honest - but this holiday made the sit com Benidorm seem positively sophisticated.

Still, I'm trying to remember my New Year's resolution to be a glass half full kinda girl and at least it was a break, I wasn't at work, cleaning, cooking, washing or ironing (but I've done all that since I've been back) and it gave me plenty of time to think.

The most important thing I want to do this year is to complete the edit on my book so that I can send it off. 

So I came home with renewed vigour and focus and promptly rewrote the first five chapters of the novel.  Quite extensively in some cases.  So, now I'm happy with the opening chapters but I've changed so much that its had a knock on effect on the rest of the plot.  I know it needed it but to be honest, my head is now in tatters and I can't work out the rest of the plot. 

I will get there in the end, I know I will but at the moment I can't see the wood for the trees!

Hope your writing week is going better than mine.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the bad weather on your hols.
    Good Luck with the New Writers Scheme - I did it last year and although my report was scathing (or seemed so at the time!) it certainly gave me food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to put a comment but i think i sent you a msg instead and can't figure out if it was sent in the end or not. So better stick to posting a comment again. Interesting blog you have here. I was curious whether you managed to send your manuscript to RNA on time? I hope you did. I know the feeling. re writing the first chapters and not being able to see the wood from the trees...my brain are mushy peas from being so involved with that book.

    ReplyDelete

Things They Never Said - First Week in the Big Bad World

  Well, my debut novel Things They Never Said has been out in the real world for nearly a week now and I'm pleased to say that it seems ...