Friday 10 August 2012

Up, Off and Away

Well, by now my RNA New Writers' Scheme script will be winging its way to the reader, courtesy of Royal Mail.

I say winging, but judging by the weight of it, it might be bumping along rather slowly.  I thought I might have to take a second mortgage to post it, but if the critique is anything like last year's, it will be worth it.

I thought I had finished the final edit when I realised it was over the preferred word limit, so rather desperately I went through it again.  In the end I managed to cut 9,000 words to bring it well below the upper level.  I was actually shocked that I managed to cut so much out without affecting the plot, it just goes to show how much of my writing is superfluous. It taught me alot and made me aware of words I repeat which just aren't necessary.

I'm sure the novel is still too long for the market, but I'm hoping the critique will show me where it could be reduced.

I do feel that at the moment it is the best that it can be but will obviously reflect on this later, when I have the critique in my hot little hands, and have let it rest for a while.

For now though, I'm catching up on my reading and then it's back to writing some new short stories.  I've had a few rejected recently, so I'll have a look at those, see if they can be recycled and then start writing again.  I'm looking forward to doing some writing rather than constant editing and I'm also looking forward to writing some shorter pieces of work.

But for this weekend, I think I'll just enjoy the sunshine and hope that it lasts for as long as possible.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Things They Never Said - First Week in the Big Bad World

  Well, my debut novel Things They Never Said has been out in the real world for nearly a week now and I'm pleased to say that it seems ...